Sunday, February 1, 2015

Review: Forgiving our Fathers and Mothers


I grew up in a non-traditional home, but even barring that, I think most people have some sort of issue with their parents. There is always something that you have trouble getting over no matter how close you are.

This book, this book is therapy for children of dysfunctional homes. For kids of divorced parents, abusive parents, negligent parents, parents who had to work multiple jobs just to get by, this book was written for you. I debated choosing this book, but knowing how big of an issue I have with forgiveness towards one of my parents, I knew that I was being pulled to read this book for my own sanity.

Questions broached in this book:

 - Why must we forgive at all?
 - How do we honor those who act dishonorably toward us, especially when those people are as influential as our parents?  
 - Can we ever break free from the “sins of our fathers”?
 - What does forgiveness look like in the lives of real parents and children?
 - Does forgiveness always require reconciliation?

Leslie speaks in an intelligent, knowing, friendly way as a child of a broken home and the follow ups in each chapter by Dr. Jill Hubbard, along with the questions poised at the end of each chapter really drives home the point being made in the section. This book took me longer than normal so that I could sit and absorb the information being presented. It made me want to go speak to my mother from whom I'm regularly estranged. It does a good job of incorporating real life stories with Biblical stories and verses, as well as words from a doctor that I think make this book a phenomenal resource when dealing with forgiveness issues for grown children. I'm actually excited to work through my own issues with my parents with the aid of this book and recall several moments of making my significant other listen to me recite passages of the book! 

If you are ready to reconcile with your estranged parent, and have a Biblical basis for it, then absolutely read this book. I think for some who were victims of any type of physical abuse, that may be more difficult due to the emotions tied to it. Read this book regardless and then slowly make your decision. 

Overall, I would recommend this book to others in similar situations. It is well written and thought out. It doesn't have concrete ideas for how to reconcile however, but I think there's a reason for that. Everyone's feelings towards their parents are going to be different and there is no one way to make this decision and act on it. The questions at the end of each chapter are great guiding tools.

I received this book from booklook bloggers in exchange for my opinion/review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment