Monday, August 18, 2014

Chasing God

"When we spend more of our time searching for assurance than we do acting out of belief, we are chasing God" -Angie Smith, Chasing God
I have read all of Angie Smith's book. I started reading her blog when it only had a few pages and had a different URL. I own three copies of What Women Fear (one was a double order, and it is about to be given out as a gift). The first copy I purchased when I wasn't working but knew I needed to hear what she had to say. I love it. It is dog eared, stained due to an adorable little boy who sometimes knocked things down when he was little, and well loved.

Her latest book, Chasing God was great as well! I own this one in both a physical copy that I pre-ordered, which is how I ended up with the second copy of What Women Fear, and purchased it for Kindle as well. I'm one of those people who isn't big on writing in my books. Blame that on being raised by teachers, so I enjoy Kindle versions of books so that I can highlight things and go back to passages with ease.


This book really hit home in many ways. She's very candid with her life (mentioning embarrassing childhood tales and awkward ways she tried to fit in with what she seemed to believe were the perfect Christian) without sounding fake. I relate so much to a lot of what she says, having grown up around some very Christian people but not always knowing where I fit in. 

A couple of quotes I loved from Chasing God:
"Why does prayer matter so much to God? Because relationship matters to God. Prayer is one of the fundamental ways"

The one below may have been the one that weighed on my heart the most. You always hear people say "God wouldn't give you more than you can handle" and while this may be true, it never states that in His word.
"The notion that our Abba Father would dispense injury based on our ability to “carry it” is injurious to our relationship with Him and casts light wrongly on our human capacity instead of His generous dispensation of grace."

No comments:

Post a Comment